Thursday, July 5, 2012

Outfit of the Day: July 4th





I know, I'm a bit late on this but better late than never! Independence Day was loads of fun this year and taught me a little something- how much fun it can be to search your closet for holiday colors! It also gave me a chance to wear pieces of clothing I hardly wear anymore, and rediscover.

So, the other day (July 3rd) the new Spiderman movie came out! Naturally, my family and I decided to see it because we are such suckers for Marvel comics movies, and my brother's idol was Spiderman when he was younger. We usually see a movie on the fourth anyways, and I was glad this is the one that we saw this year!

Now onto the outfit. The statement piece of this outfit I think is the cardigan. I like that it's very slouchy, making it super casual and look not so put together. It's a dark navy with big bright red buttons sewn on the side. Coincidentally, it's from American Apparel, and in celebration of America's birthday, it was perfect to wear! The cardigan also has two large pockets, one on each side. I am about 5'8" and I am wearing a small. Basically, these run big!

Underneath my lovely and patriotic cardigan lie pretty simple pieces I would normally wear on an everyday basis. My top is a white sleeveless cotton blouse from H&M and has a high-low hem (however, you can't tell because it is tucked into my shorts). It also buttons all the way down and has some ruffle detailings on the chest area. My shorts are American Eagle (another American brand in celebration of this day!) and they are high waisted and a light blue wash. I specifically picked a light blue denim to compliment the dark navy in my cardigan. Any darker shorts would have just blended in too much I think. My hair is just down and natural (wavy) and I put a thin plastic navy blue headband in.

In the small box to the right of my outfit, you'll see my nails! Unfortunately, I couldn't get too patriotic with them because I don't have red or white nail polish. But on the other hand, I have tons and tons of blue nail polish. I decided to go with China Glaze Dorothy, Who? From the Wizard of Oz collection from a couple years ago. You can still find this polish easily. It's a beautiful dark blue glitter, and a dupe for Absolutely Alice from O.P.I. I had been lusting for that nail polish so much, so when I found Dorothy, Who? I snatched it right away!

I know you can't see my makeup, but to give an overview I kept it pretty neutral. On my eyes I used my Stila Pro Artist palette from Summer 2010. I have Kitten on the lid and Grand in the crease. I also used Kitten in the inner corners as well to brighten up my eyes. If you didn't know, Kitten is a shimmery pink champagne color, and Grand is a shimmery taupe. As liner, I used Lancome black liquid liner on the top, and I smudge a dark blue eyeshadow into my waterline & lower lashline for a pop of color. The dark blue was perfect for nighttime, because it is a dark color although it is less harsh than just using black. For mascara, I used Benefit They're Real (ALL-TIME favorite!). On my face I just used my normal foundation, which is Bare Minerals in Medium Beige, and concealed with Benefit Erase Paste. For bronzer I used Bare Minerals in the shade "Warm" and for blush, Benefit Coralista. On my lips I just put on my Fresh SUGAR lip treatment in "Rose" because I wanted something moisturizing but with some color.

So that's my outfit! I hope anyone who reads this enjoyed the post and will be posting my June Favorites soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment