Thursday, July 16, 2015

Summer Cruise 2015: Last Minute Shopping

Although I initially thought I was pretty much done shopping for what I needed for my upcoming trip, I somehow ended up purchasing additional items. These items added up over the past couple of weeks, so I thought I'd share some last minute things and why I ended up getting them. Perhaps some of these items may remind you to get certain things you may need for an upcoming trip or just interest you in general. 

Let's start with...bathing suits. I had compiled a short list of items I was still in need of a few weeks ago when I published my Introduction to Cruise Series... post. It was short and to the point, and I had found that I may need another one piece swimsuit. If you saw my Collective American Eagle Haul, you'll know I picked up an adorable one piece, but you may not have known it's the only one I owned at the time. My mom insisted I find another one because I will be going on the waterslides on the ship almost everyday, and I may find I want some extra covering up and protection for that. When I went to American Eagle one day in search of a one piece, I found this adorable red one with crochet detailing in the middle where the bottom of the chest meets the top of the stomach. It was a pretty flattering red color too, so I decided it was best to try it on and see it on me before I bought it. I also noticed a rack of Aerie bathing suits next to the sale clothes (where I found the red one) and decided to just browse before I went in the fitting room. I stumbled upon 2 other bikinis that were my size and caught my eye, so I figured why not try these on too while I'm at it. To finish off this long story, I went in for 1 one piece and ended up buying 2 others...but I did get each for about $25, which was a pretty good deal.






Ultimately, I was undoubtedly sure I was done clothes shopping, even though I saw a ton of new arrivals on ae.com (read American Eagle Fall Fashion Preview for more info on that and to see how the dress looks like on). I happened to go in there the next week because we were at the mall shopping for my mom at Macy's (I did some damage there too, just wait). Initially, I just went in to look at the new arrivals in person and maybe try a few on for size (I range from a medium to large) so if the time came and I was ready to buy something, I wouldn't have to go through much trouble in the future. I tried on two dresses, and fell in love with the Patterned Babydoll Dress. I took a picture of it and showed it to my mom, and of course, she said you have to have it! Basically, my mom enticed me into buying it and for full price (which is very unlike me). As I stated earlier, we went to the mall because my mom needed daytime clothing and she had a gift card to Macy's for her birthday so we began there. I swear, we tried on a ton of stuff just for fun and spent hours in the dressing room. I really didn't expect to find an outfit let alone a piece of clothing, but I did! Macy's was having their "One Day Sale" special that day, and I actually ended up finding both the black eyelet crop top as well as this pretty floral chiffon skater skirt from Michael Kors. The shirt was originally $110 but I got it for around $20, and the skirt for $17.90. I seriously couldn't pass it up. I'm really not a huge skirt person, but this one was too flattering to not buy. When you see a deal, you just have to take it sometimes. The very last time I went to Macy's with my mom, I saw this adorable printed muscle tee with smiling suns all over it. I'm a sucker for anything that has to do with suns for some reason. It's a beautiful bright blue color and by Lucky Brand. I snagged this one for about $12 when it was originally $40!








Next, I picked up a few pool reads using an Amazon credit from trading in some college textbooks! If you've seen my Summer Reading Picks, then you know both The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho and Attachments by Rainbow Rowell are my must-reads this summer. Also, if you read my First Look: Day Designer for Blue Sky Daily Planner post, you know I fell in love with this planner, and I've actually decided to bring it on my trip to plan out my daily activities by both utilizing the schedule and the to do list sections. When I get back from my trip, I'll show you how this worked to my advantage - I think it will really come in handy. Using that Amazon credit I mentioned, I picked up a small pack of my favorite pens in the Pilot Frixion Ball style to use in my daily planner and take notes in a small notepad I plan on bringing. I thought these cute geometric sticky notes from the Target Dollar Spot would be great for jotting down quick notes or reminders in my planner as well.


Preparation for an upcoming vacation wouldn't be complete without a last minute trip to Target. We weren't sure if we were going to have the essential complimentry amenities in our bathroom in the cabin, like shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel, so we picked up a few travel sized bottles we can fill up with what we have at home. It's better to be safe than sorry in the case we don't have anything in our shower already. Of course, mine had to be blue - it's my favorite color. My brother and I also got some small loofas to take with to wash our bodies (I just needed one to help with shaving). My skin hasn't been the clearest lately, so I picked up this Olay Fresh Effects Clear Skin {1-2-3!} Acne Solution Kit, which includes a cleanser, a spot zinger, and a moisturizing mattifier to reduce pores and cancel out redness in the face. I really want my skin to be clear for the trip, for I won't be wearing much makeup during the day (see What's In My Toiletries Bag? for more detail). I will, however, be wearing my favorite Tarte Amazonian Clay Waterproof 12-Hour Concealer. It really does stay on all day and is a must for me in the summertime. With my purchase, I chose two 100 point perks (Sephora rewards system) and got a Bobbi Brown Shadow Stick in this beautiful matte brown shade, as well as a sample of the new Marc Jacobs Mod Noir perfume that I mentioned I was going to be looking for in port. Maybe I won't even need to pick it up now. Lastly, if you read my Review: Bumble and Bumble Surf Infusion Sea Salt Spray post, then you know I acquired this for a quick hair styling product, and that it will be great for long days in the sun and by the pool.





It must be years since I last used a disposable camera from the drugstore, but my mom and I were at Walgreens when I saw the Kodak Sport Waterproof Film Camera, and I just had to get it for the trip. I plan on using it while in port at Nassau, because my family and I will be at the Atlantis Aquaventure water park all day. It will be a great way to save memories from that day, and it's probably the one I'm looking forward to most. If possible, I plan on scanning the pictures to my computer and sharing them in a blog post when I get back from my trip. 

I hope you've enjoyed reading this somewhat lengthy last minute shopping haul for my summer cruise. I can't believe I'm leaving this Saturday already! 
Until next time,
~Alexa~

No comments:

Post a Comment